Monday, April 30, 2007

Bush Plans to Veto Iraq War

Bush Plans to Veto Iraq War



President Bush plans to veto legislation to fund the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan on Tuesday, but vowed to work with Democrats on the next step to craft a compromise supplemental spending bill that would be free of an Iraq pullout timetable.

"I made my position very clear, the Congress chose to ignore it, so I will veto the bill," Bush said in a press conference in the White House Rose Garden on Monday. "That's not to say that I'm not interested in their opinions Ñ I am. I look forward to working with members of both parties to get a bill that doesnÕt set artificial timetables and doesn't micromanage and get some money to our troops."

Senior White House officials told FOX News that Bush will veto the bill late Tuesday after he returns from a trip to Tampa, Fla., to visit the United States Central Command. The schedule is based on Congress delivering the legislation to his desk by then. The veto will not take place in a ceremony, but the president will make short remarks or release a statement.

No comments: